Post Operative Care
Want better treatment results with a shorter recovery period? Laser dentistry is the virtually pain free, fast, safe and effective treatment solution…
Laser treatments typically result in little or no post operative discomfort, but in any event, the following steps should be taken to minimise potential side effects:
- In the event that you are provided with post operative medication including anti-microbial rinses and antibiotic medications, ensure that you complete the course.
- In the immediate period following treatment, apply ice to the affected cheek at 20 minute periods.
- Following the initial 24 hour period, repeat the process with warm, moist heat.
- Limit physical exertion in the immediate period following treatment.
- For the first 24 hour period immediately following surgery, take 2 Advil or 2 Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours even if you do not have any pain as they may help to reduce swelling.
- Consume a liquid diet for the 24 hours immediately following treatment, drink plenty of water and reduce spicy food intake for several days following this period.
- Avoid chewing in the areas of treatment for approximately one week following treatment.
- Do not brush or floss your teeth until instructed to do so.
- Maintain the cleanliness of your mouth by carefully brushing in the areas of the mouth which have not been treated.
Light bleeding, swelling, tenderness, tooth sensitivity and a change in gum colour are sometimes experienced and are not cause for alarm. In the event that you experience severe or prolonged pain, excessive bleeding or associated sickness, please contact us immediately to discuss any measures which might be necessary.